Home > In the Media > Rane: Govt willing to take Jaitapur PAPs to Tarapur

Rane: Govt willing to take Jaitapur PAPs to Tarapur

From the Indian Express

March 5, 2011

Industries Minister Narayan Rane has said the Jaitapur nuclear power project will go ahead and the government is willing to take those opposing the project to Tarapur power station to allay their fears. He, however, ruled out the possibility of making the project-affected people (PAPs) shareholders in the project, claiming that an unprecedented compensation package had been worked out.

Rane told The Indian Express on Friday that a few big farmers and outsiders were misleading the residents. “We are willing to take them to Tarapur to demonstrate that such projects are safe… The problem is that they don’t come forward and are being misguided… The project is safe. It is planned over 938 hectares; does not displace a single house or agriculture land, only 150 mango trees; and we have worked out a good compensation package.”

On some speakers opposing the project — like Dr Milind Desai — being heckled on the dais during the visit of chief minister Prithviraj Chavan to Jaitapur, Rane said he and his son (and local MP Nilesh Rane) had objected to a speaker using unparliamentary language.

He said the arrest of 12 persons, including Desai, after Chavan’s visit was in connection with an old case of rioting. “The action was taken by the police. We had not asked the police to arrest them… the law will take its course. It is true that the police delayed in arresting them, but it was because they were absconding.”

Asked about the possibility of PAPs being made shareholders in the project, he said, “The policy of Navi Mumbai (airport) does not apply here (in Jaitapur) because we have worked out the highest compensation package… our revenue department’s compensation starts at Rs 46,000 per acre, but we are planning to give Rs 10 lakh per acre in Jaitapur. Besides, a lumpsum amount of Rs 25 crore would be deposited as fixed deposit and the interest accrued would be distributed annually to PAPs. Also, two per cent of the profits would be used for local development.”

He said the project was planned during the NDA regime and former Sena MP Suresh Prabhu had taken credit for initiating it.

He said Sena executive president Uddhav Thackeray’s proposed visit to the site was an act of hypocrisy. He also expressed displeasure over Ratnagiri district guardian minister Bhaskar Jadhav (NCP) staying away from Chavan’s interaction.

Rane ruled out the possibility of a pilot project to be undertaken to convince the residents. “Such projects are not done in bits and pieces… The project will go ahead…The work of building a boundary wall has already started.”

He said the government was also being sympathetic towards the fishing community that was not affected by the project by working out a package for them.

Advertisements
  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: